Government Resources

This page includes information about numerous other federal, state and Navajo Nation assistance programs connected to Tribal Lifeline.


– Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance

The purpose of the Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance program is to provide cash assistance for certain specified basic needs of individual American Indians, or families which include American Indians. Covered needs include such items as food, clothing, shelter, and utilities; burial assistance may also be included as an essential need.  The program has no website, but you can call (928) 871-6835 for more information.

– Federal Public Housing Assistance – Section 8

Use this website to find local contact information to apply for federal housing assistance.  Read more

– Food Stamps

The United States Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as the Food Stamp program, is a federal-assistance program that provides assistance to people and families in need.  Download the application to receive food, medical, emergency and other types of assistance.  Read more

– Head Start

Certain income eligibility requirements must be met to apply for the Head Start program.  This website will help you locate  your local Head Start chapter.  Read more

– Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance program is a United States federal social services program first established in 1981 and funded annually through Congressional appropriations.  Use this application to receive aid for your home energy needs.  Read more

– Medicaid

Medicaid is the United States health program for people and families with low incomes and resources.  Download the application to receive food, medical, emergency and other types of assistance.  Read more

– National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program

The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) is a program to provide low cost or free school lunch meals to qualified students through subsidies to schools.  Read more

– Navajo Land Department, Division of Natural Resources, Homesite Section

This website “helps individual Navajos and families obtain legal entitlement to land within the Navajo Nation, so that they can obtain a home”.  It also explains what the eligibility requirements are for a homesite lease, the costs, the process of receiving this lease, and contact numbers.  Read more

– Supplemental Security Income

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes).  It is designed to help aged, blind and disabled people who have little or no income, and it provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing and shelter.  Read more

– Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program can provide financial assistance when you need it most.  Download the application to receive food, medical, emergency and other types of assistance.  Read more

– Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)

This website has information about the TANF program that is administered by specific Native American tribes.  You can also call (928) 810-8553 for more information.  Read more